Gujarat has the highest number of non-active ports in the country with 58 percent of the total 48 minor ports in the state lying non-operational, according to state data tabled in the Lok Sabha during the recently concluded winter session.

In stark contrast, neighboring Maharashtra that also has 48 minor ports, has zero non-active ports, a written reply from Sarbananda Sonowal, Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways stated. There are 28 non-active ports in Gujarat and they account for over 32 percent of the total non-active ports in the country.

Of the 217 minor ports in 13 states and Union territories, 86 are non-active, states the written reply. Kerala and Odisha with 12 non-active ports each and Andhra Pradesh with 11 non-active ports are among the states that have a high number of non-operational  ports.

Other ports like Veraval are being used for fishing activities. However, many of them are in deteriorating conditions and the state government is planning to upgrade a few of them, the official added.

Advertisements

The biggest chunk of non-active or non-operational ports is in South Gujarat where the state government is looking to build new ports, including the one at Nargol.

In South Gujarat, Bharuch, Khambhat, Bhagwa, Onjal, Kolak, Valsad, Umargam, Umarsadi and Bilimora are some of the non-active ports, while Mangrol, Pipavav (Victor), Mahuva, Rupen, Sachana, Pindhara, Jodia, Talaja and Ghogha are among the non- operational ports in Saurashtra region, state gov- ernment officials said. In stark contrast to other parts of Gujarat, all minor ports in Kutch district, including Mundra,managed by Adani Port and Special Economic Zone (APSEZ) are operational.

Despite having the highest number of non-active ports, Gujarat accounts for 68 per cent of cargo handled by minor ports in the country. Between April and November 2021, all the minor ports in the country together handled 362 million tons of cargo.

Of the total cargo handled in the past eight months, minor ports in Gujarat accounted for 265.69 million tons. Gujarat handled only 11 percent coastal cargo, while the remaining 89 percent was overseas cargo, with imported crude oil occupying a lion’s share.

Growth in cargo traffic by minor ports in Gujarat has been single digits during the current financial year 2021-22.Between April and November 2021, minor ports in Gujarat recorded only a 8.6 percent growth in cargo traffic.

Advertisements