Former Australian pace bowler Simon O’Donnell has said that reports of Australian coach Justin Langer being asked by Cricket Australia (CA) to reapply for the job was a “slap in the face” of the former cricketer, adding that he doubted the 51-year-old would like to “come back” after the humiliation. Reports in Australia said that Langer was asked by CA chief executive Nick Hockley and head of performance Ben Oliver to reapply for the coach’s job along with other candidates despite having guided the team to its maiden ICC T20 World Cup title in the UAE last year and the 4-0 Ashes win recently.

Advertisements

The report in foxsports.com.au also said that the former Australia opener acted angrily when the possibility of him reapplying for the job was raised, adding that Langer would most likely be offered a 12 to 14 month arrangement on a trial basis. However, CA issued a statement on Tuesday denying the men’s head coach was asked to reapply for his position during a meeting last week.

Advertisements